The Burma Refugee Commission is a joint effort coordinated out of the ABCUSA Office of General Secretary which includes representatives of the American Baptist Home Mission Societies, International Ministries, the Regional Executive Ministers Council, Burmese Baptist Churches USA, Chin Baptist Churches USA, Chin Baptist Association of North America, Kachin Baptist Churches USA, Kachin American Baptist Association, and Karen Baptist Churches USA.
Call to Prayer for Myanmar
Please view the following video in which American Baptist Churches USA Interim General Secretary, Dr. C. Jeff Woods, briefly shares about our historic connection to Myanmar (formerly Burma) and introduces the American Baptist Call to Prayer for the people of Myanmar and the Burma Diaspora resource page.
On this page, you will find additional documents and links to other sources through which you can learn more about the American Baptist relationship with the people from Myanmar and the current sociopolitical situations in Myanmar. We also provide prayer and worship resources that individuals and faith communities can use in their homes, church meetings, and worship services that we hope will assist you in centering God in your desire and efforts to discern your Christian witness amidst these challenging times.
Starting in the month of March, 2021, we ask that you consider setting aside time(s) to lift up prayers individually or collectively, and to also consider ways you can serve as an action of your support in the coming weeks and months. While there is no designated day, we highlight that the World Day of Prayer falls on Friday, March 5 this year.
Recent updates shared by ABCUSA
- Join us for a special Prayer Service in observance of the two-year anniversary of the military coup in Burma. Learn more here.
- Following advocacy from the Burma Advocacy Group, a sub-committee of Burma Refugee Commission, and many others, the Burma Bill was passed by the Senate and signed into law in December 2022.
- The Burma Advocacy Group launched two signature campaigns in 2022 asking American Baptist pastors, leaders, congregations, and individuals to sign a letter which was automatically sent to their respective State Senators to advocate for the passing of the Burma Bill. The ongoing military attacks on the people of Burma were heightened by recent airstrikes on the Chin State, Kachin State, Karen State and others. You may learn more here: Burma Advocacy Group.
- Burma Advocacy Group Letter to Pastors – March 1, 2022
- Pray and Act for Burma – February 2022
- Special Prayer Service in Observance of One-Year Anniversary of Military Coup in Burma – February 1, 2022
- Prayer For Burma – February 1, 2022
- Prayer for the Children of Burma – February 1, 2022
- Burma Refugee Commission Report to the Board – June 3, 2021
- Running List Prayer Request Updates
- April 2021 Commission Update
Calls to Action and How Others Are Responding
- ABC Burma Advocacy Group calls for immediate release of the Rev. Dr. Hkalam Samson – December 6, 2022
- Calls for the Release of Pastor Rev. Thian Lian Sang and Justice for Pastor Rev. Cung Biak Hum – September 23, 2021
- Tell Your Members of Congress to co-sponsor the Burma Sanctions Bill – July 14, 2021
- Burma crisis—A rough road to democracy and freedom – The Christian Citizen – May 4, 2021
- 21Wilberforce Global Freedom Center
- Baptist World Alliance – Standing Together with the People of Myanmar
- Pray for Peace in Myanmar – District of Columbia Baptist Convention
- International Ministries responds to the situation in Myanmar (including One Great Hour of Sharing giving link)
Worship and Prayer Resources
- Prayer Requests from Karen Baptist Churches USA
- Prayer and Requests from greater Seattle area congregations
- Prayer Requests from Thraw Saw Wado for Thai-Myanmar Border Communities
- Prayer from Biak Mang Hlei Mang, Chin Baptist Association of North America (Chin/Falam and English)
- Prayer from James Bawi Thang Bik, Association of Chin Refugees, Malaysia
- Prayer from Marilyn Nu, Malaysia Karen Organization (English and Burmese)
- Prayer from Maung Maung Htwe, Burmese Christian Association of North America (Burmese and English)
- Prayer from May May Latt, Milwaukee Myanmar Christian Church, WI (English and Burmese)
- Prayer from San No Thuan, Chin Baptist Association in North America (English and Chin/Falam)
- Prayer from Thlaawr Bawihrin, General Secretary, Chin Baptist Churches USA (Chin/Hakha and English)
- Prayer from Tu Lum Lamung, Kachin American Baptist Association (English and Kachin)
- Prayer from Zau Hkawng Dure, General Secretary, Kachin Baptist Churches (Kachin and English)
- Prayer from A. Roy Medley, ABCUSA General Secretary Emeritus
- Prayer from Debbie Kelsey, Tabernacle Baptist Church of Utica, NY
- Prayer Litany from Florence Li, ABHMS Staff
- Prayer from Marie Onwubuariri, ABCUSA Office of the General Secretary Staff (voice recording)
- Prayer from Robin Stoops, ABC Regional Leader
- Prayer from Trisha Miller Manarin, ABC Regional Leader (video)
Learn More About the Current Myanmar Situation
- Burma Act 2021 Advocacy Update
- Congress Sends Warning to Burma’s Oppressive Military Junta
- Information about Temporary Protected Status (TPS) for Burma (Myanmar) – English, Karen, and Burmese. The application period runs from May 25-November 22, 2021. [The designation period for Burma runs from May 25, 2021 – November 25, 2022.]. Applications can be found here.
- A perspective on current situation: Ma Pwint Htun, Harvard Ash Center Fellow in the Myanmar Program
- 2021 Myanmar Statements and Correspondence
Other Resources from the Burma Refugee Commission (BRC)
- PowerPoint Presentation about the Burma Refugee Commission
- Maps of Myanmar
- Maps of Burma Diaspora in the US
- Photo of Ann and Adoniram Judson