The Generosity Project
The Generosity Project pilot program will run from September 2017-December 2018 with a cohort group of pastors from New England regions. The cohort will be created through a nomination and application process in consultation with regional executive ministers. The cohort will begin by defining generosity and stewardship and sharing our stories of celebration around personal and corporate generosity. We will examine the challenge of stewardship in the 21st century and learn how to re-frame the conversation. Finally, we will create experiments to nurture generosity in ourselves, our families, and our congregations. The cohort will be led by Rev. Stacy Emerson, ABCUSA Stewardship Facilitator: 800-ABC-3USA x2010, or email@example.com.
- Can Money be Holy?, Margaret Marcuson
- What Every Pastor Ought to Know About Money, Margaret Marcuson
- Stewards of God’s Mysteries, Stacy Emerson
- Stewards of the Blessing of Time, Stacy Emerson
- Gratitude and Grace, Stacy Emerson
- Letting Go of Fear, Stacy Emerson
- Shifting the Conversation, Stacy Emerson
- How Much Do You Value Generosity?, Marcia Shetler
- Understanding Our Relationship With Money, Marcia Shetler
- Preaching on Stewardship, Stacy Emerson
- What is your why?, Stacy Emerson
- Generosity Project: Generous Hospitality, Lonnie A. Brown
- Generosity Project: Living in Abundance, Lonnie A. Brown
- Great Teams Lead to Great Generosity, Marcia Shetler
- Generosity and Faith: The Connecting Thread, Marcia Shetler
- Cultivate Generosity in Your Church by Sharing The Story, Margaret Marcuson
- How to Increase Generosity in your Church: Ask! Margaret Marcuson
- Generosity Project: Who Do We Trust? Kenneth Marsenburg
- Easter and Our Generosity Project Journey, Kenneth Marsenburg
- Where You Find Responsible Stewardship You Find Responsive Mission, Lisa Harris-Lee
- Where You Find Great Gratitude You Find Great Generosity, Lisa Harris-Lee
- Seven Things Pastors Must NOT Do in Church Finance, Margaret Marcuson
- Seven Things Pastors Must Do in Church Finance, Margaret Marcuson
- Generosity is Counterintuitive, Steve Bils
- Generosity is Modeled and Mimicked, Steve Bils
- Generosity: The Subject Jesus Talked About Most, Kenneth Marsenburg
- Generosity: Gratefulness and Love, Kenneth Marsenburg
- Generosity is Profound, Marcia L. Shetler
- Living Generously Begins With Trust, Marcia L. Shetler
Stewardship Book Reviews
Ask, Thank, Tell by Charles Lane, reviewed by Margaret Marcuson: The goal of this book, is to perform a dramatic rescue of stewardship, freeing it from any connection whatsoever to “paying the bills.” Stewardship is an intensely spiritual matter that lies close to a disciple’s relationship with Jesus.
The Soul of Money by Lynne Twist, reviewed by Margaret Marcuson: This book shows us that examining our attitudes toward money—earning it, spending it, and giving it away—offers surprising insight into our lives. Lynne Twist asks us to discover our relationship with money, understand how we use it, and by assessing our core human values, align our relationship with it to our desired goals.
Your Money Or Your Life by Joe Dominguez and Vicki Robin, reviewed by Margaret Marcuson: Vicki Robin shows readers how to gain control of their money and finally begin to make a life, rather than just make a living.
Walk with Generosity: A Devotional Journal by Rev. Sandra Dorsainvil, Associate Executive Minister for Mission & Stewardship, The American Baptist Churches of Massachusetts: This is a 40 day devotional journal for nurturing generosity. Intended for any time of the year rather than a particular liturgical season, Rev. Dorsainvil invites readers to reflect on scripture, to find ways to put their faith into action, and “to ponder, reflect, and sit with God for forty days.” She writes, “Each day offers you an opportunity to be a better disciple, a better servant and a better giver of Truth, Hope and Love.”
Celebrating the Offering by Melvin Amerson and James Amerson: Giving is an act of worship. But so often it is an awkward or minor part of our worship experience. Brothers and colleagues in ministry, Melvin and James Amerson walk us through the biblical foundations for worship through our giving and provide practical resources for deepening the spiritual practice of giving.
At the Crossroads: Leadership Lessons for the Second Half of Life by Clayton Smith & Dave Wilson: The life of stewardship is also the stewardship of life. As we consider entering into or living in retirement, how do we claim God’s purpose for our lives in our service, in our giving, and in our legacy? At the Crossroads is a six-week Bible-based study offering comprehensive, practical help for Christians who are approaching, entering, or already in retirement.
Six Stewardship-related webinars have been produced by ABCUSA’s office of Mission Resource Development to date.
Stewardship For All Generations
The presentation shared during the webinar can be found here.
Presented by Grace Duddy Pomroy
Grace Duddy Pomroy is a millennial stewardship ministry leader and financial educator. She graduated from Luther Seminary in 2012 with a Master’s of Arts degree in Congregational Mission and Leadership. She served as the Assistant Director of the Center for Stewardship Leaders at Luther Seminary and the Executive Director of Operations for Kairos and Associates and the Joshua Group. She is the co-author of the recently published stewardship book, Embracing Stewardship: How to Put Stewardship at the Heart of Your Congregation’s Life, as well as author of the 2013 ELCA stewardship resource, “Stewards of God’s Love.” You can find her online and read her weekly blog at http://www.gracepomroy.com/. She lives in Apple Valley with her husband, Tyler. She is currently the Financial Education Specialist at Portico Benefit Services.
Preaching about Stewardship
Presented by Rev. Dr. Christine Roush, Director of Discipleship for the American Baptist Home Mission Societies (ABHMS)
The Generosity Project – Money and Your Ministry
Presented by Rev. Margaret Marcuson
Rev. Margaret Marcuson helps ministers do their work without wearing out or burning out, through ministry coaching, presentations and online resources. Find her at margaretmarcuson.com.
The Generosity Project – Can We Talk? About Money? In Church?
Presented by Marcia Shetler, Executive Director/CEO of the Ecumenical Stewardship Center
Generosity Project – The Personal is Communal; the Individual is Corporate
Presented by Lisa Harris-Lee, Director of Mission Engagement and National Network Initiatives for the American Baptist Home Mission Societies (ABHMS)
UNCOMMON CENTS: A Christian Approach to Modern Stewardship & Giving
Presented by Reverend Bill Keane, Senior Minister of the First Baptist Church of Branford, CT
How to Lead in Stewardship – Raise More Money with Less Stress
Presented by Rev. Margaret Marcuson
These webinars were produced by the office of Mission Resource Development, American Baptist Churches USA. This ministry is made possible because of your generous support of United Mission.