VALLEY FORGE, PA (7/1/22)—Ministers Council President Randolph T. Miller has announced the 2023-2024 open nomination process for the National Ministers Council Leadership Team. Positions include:
- President (one ‘two-year’ term)
- Vice President (one ‘two year’ term with succession to President (2025-2026)
- Secretary (two ‘two-year’ terms)
- Coordinator of Local Chapter Representatives (two ‘two-year’ terms)
The Nominating Committee members are Rev. Shane Kinnison, First Baptist Church, Glendale, California, Rev. Rebecca Driscoll, First Baptist Church, Attleboro, Massachusetts, Rev. Laurel Balyeat Morrison, Ministers Council of Northern California and Rev. Randolph Miller, President, Ministers Council ABCUSA.
“We invite you into a spirit of prayer and discernment as you consider the Leadership Team for the Ministers Council ABCUSA for the next term,” says Miller.
Learn more about open positions and position responsibilities below.
The deadline for nominations is August 1, 2022.
American Baptist Churches USA is one of the most diverse Christian denominations today, with approximately 5,000 congregations comprised of 1.3 million members, across the United States and Puerto Rico, all engaged in God’s mission around the world.
Spiritual Discernment for this Season of Nomination
A Note from the Ministers Council Nominating Committee
And this is my prayer, that your love may overflow more and more with knowledge and full insight to help you determine what is best, so that in the day of Christ you may be pure and blameless, having produced the harvest of righteousness that comes through Christ Jesus for the glory and praise of God. – Philippians 1:9-11
The ABCUSA Ministers Council has entered a season of nomination for its leadership team officers. Throughout this season, the nomination committee invites you to participate in the nomination process. As you begin to reflect on who might best serve in these roles, and whether you would like to nominate an individual or yourself for this ministry, we would like to offer you a discernment practice to accompany this process.
As a nomination committee, we ask first for your prayers as we enter this season as a community just as Paul prayed for the knowledge and full insight of the church in Philippi. We lift up those who are placing nominations, those who are discerning who to nominate, and the discernment of those who are nominated. We also lift up the continued dedication of the individuals past and present who have been faithful to the mission of the Ministers Council and attentive to the movement of the Spirit in their midst.
As you discern how you might wish to participate in this nomination process, we invite you to practice the Awareness Examen described in the book The Way of Discernment: Spiritual Practices for Decision Making by Elizabeth Liebert. The Awareness Examen helps us to notice God’s presence and action in our daily life and decision making. It can be practiced in as little as five minutes, but can be extended as you feel the movement of the spirit. The practice invites reflection on these prompts:
Ask God to look at the decision with you.
What does God show you about the decision?
What is/was important to God about your decision?
Talk to God about your decision.
This prayerful practice can be completed in as little as 5 minutes but can be extended as you feel the movement of the spirit. Thank you for your kindness and prayerfulness in this nomination season. We look forward to serving alongside you in this time of discernment.
With Gratitude and Blessings,
The Ministers Council ABCUSA Nominating Committee
Open Positions and Respective Responsibilities
The Leadership Team of the Ministers Council ABCUSA is comprised of eight members. This group serves with intention and discernment, seeking the wisdom of the Holy Spirit as it guides the Ministers Council. The eight members work together holding fast to the values of collegiality, centeredness, and competence. Serving on the Leadership Team creates a unique opportunity to care for the body of members, as well as each member individually, encouraging one another to live out Christ’s call to bring the love of God to earth.
All officers shall be dues-paying of the Ministers Council at the time of their election and as long as they serve and shall sign the Covenant and Code of Ethics maintained by the Ministers Council.
President (one “two-year” term) with duties:
- Preside at all meetings of the Ministers Council and the Leadership Team
- Represent this body on the Mission Table and the Joint Review Committee on Nominations of the American Baptist Churches in the USA or their successors.
- Serve on the Personnel Committee and the Nominating Committee.
- Oversee national staff positions.
- Guarantee that contracts, arrangements and legal requirements for the organization and its national office are maintained in proper order.
The Vice President (one “two-year term” to succeed as President one “two-year term”) shall:
- Work closely with the President on management of the national office and staff.
- Fulfill the President’s duties when the President is unavailable.
- In consultation with the President, oversee the recruitment, appointment, and assignments of all those representing the Ministers Council at national or regional gatherings.
The Secretary (eligible for two “two-year” terms) shall:
- Keep an accurate record of the current proceedings of the Ministers Council and the Leadership Team.
- Provide for the safekeeping of the records and official documents of this body.
- Draft and sign correspondence on behalf of this body when requested by the Leadership Team or President.
- Oversee communications from the national office, including update of website, production of newsletters, and maintenance of electronic media outlets.
The Coordinator of the Chapter Representatives Team (two “two-year terms) shall:
- Preside at meetings of the Chapter Representatives Team.
- In consultation with the Leadership Team, appoint any committees or task forces needed to meet the roles of the Chapter Representatives Team.
- Coordinate meetings of the Chapter Representatives Team, its committees and task forces.
- Work with national Ministers Council staff in encouraging the liaison, membership, and communication roles of the Local Chapter Representatives.
- Oversee programming for professional and spiritual development of members.
- Report to the Leadership Team on programming and ministries.