VALLEY FORGE, PA (ABNS 3/18/22)—On Wednesday, March 23 at 11:00 a.m. PST (2:00 p.m. EST), the American Baptist Churches of Los Angeles, Southwest and Hawaii (ABCOFLASH) are inviting American Baptists across the United States and Puerto Rico to a Forum on Ukraine taking place on Zoom. This 75-minute session will inform participants about the history of the conflict between Ukraine and Russia and how Baptists in Europe and American Baptist Global Servants are ministering to refugees. Participants will also be given updates on how they can support the humanitarian response by giving to One Great Hour of Sharing. The session will close with prayer.
The participants of the session will be:
- Van Tarpley, pastor of First Baptist Church of Bostonia, who teaches history at San Diego State University. Van has worked, studied, and researched in Lviv, Odesa, Moscow, and St. Petersburg and served as a missionary in former-Soviet Kyrgyzstan, and will provide historical context for the current war and humanitarian catastrophe.
- Charles Jones, who serves with International Ministries as the area director for Europe, The Middle East, and Liberia. Jones will update us on regional and national relief efforts related to the war in Ukraine.
- Nora and Pieter Kalkman, who serve with International Ministries with the European Baptist Federation. They will share about refugees coming to the Czech Republic where they live, and how Baptists in Europe are responding to the crisis.
- Amanda and Jon Good, who serve with International Ministries in Hungary. They, like many churches and individuals, are offering hospitality and hosting refugees in their home. They will share what God is doing through them to alleviate some of the sufferings of the refugees from Ukraine.
The session will conclude with prayers lead by several American Baptist leaders from across our denominational family, including:
- Rev. Dr. Marie Onwubuariri – associate general secretary for Mission Resource Development, American Baptist Churches USA
- Rev. Jim Bell – associate executive director for Global Mission, American Baptist International Ministries
- Rev. Andy Quient – executive minister, American Baptist Churches of Los Angeles, Southwest, and Hawaii
- Rev. Florence Li – national coordinator of Asian Ministries, American Baptist Home Mission Societies
- Rev. Dr. Shane Kinnison – pastor, First Baptist Church of Glendale, Calif.
Join the zoom meeting on March 23 at 11:00 a.m. PST (2:00 p.m. EST) from the Zoom app or website, (or call +1 669 900 6833); Meeting ID: 879 6206 8978; Passcode: 481337.
Click to join: https://us06web.zoom.us/j/87962068978?pwd=eW9EWlBnVGpIUXgycjRmaXJSN3ZrUT09
American Baptist Churches USA is one of the most diverse Christian denominations today, with approximately 5,000 congregations comprised of 1.3 million members, across the United States and Puerto Rico, all engaged in God’s mission around the world.
To download the flyer below, click here.