VALLEY FORGE, PA (4/15/20)—The Regional Executive Ministers Council (REMC) of American Baptist Churches USA has released a new document, “REMC Recommended Best Practices for Pastors During the COVID-19 Crisis”.
The best practices recommended by the REMC touch on worship services, memorial services, weddings, and pastoral care.
Read the “REMC Recommended Best Practices for Pastors During the COVID-19 Crisis” below of view a PDF document.
REMC Recommended Best Practices for Pastors During the COVID-19 Crisis:
The following are recommendations for American Baptist Pastors during this time of the COVID-19 crisis and restrictions.
Traditional pastoral ministry has been significantly impacted by the COVID-19 crisis and government Stay at Home directives. It has changed the way we worship, fellowship and provide pastoral care. In general, there are to be no groups of ten or more people.
- Worship services should not be held in person. Services should be held by Facebook, streaming, and video conference.
- Memorial services should be restricted to immediate family members of ten or less people. Larger services should be planned for after social distancing restrictions have been lifted.
- Wedding services should be restricted to immediate family members of ten or less people. Larger celebrations and/or receptions should be planned for after social distancing restrictions have been lifted.
- Pastoral calls to those in the hospital, nursing homes, and shut-ins should be postponed until after social distancing restrictions have been lifted.
- People in hospitals, nursing homes, and shut-ins are considered at high risk of being infected with the virus.
- Pastoral care must take on other expressions: greeting cards, phone calls, email, texting, Face Timing, and other creative ways to be present.
- The ministry of prayer has been become even more important.
Best Practices for Funerals During the COVID-19 CrisisABC USA Resources: www.abc-usa.org/coronavirus
The membership of the Regional Executive Ministers Council includes the chief executive officer of each region entering into covenant with the American Baptist Churches USA (33 in total) and the General Secretary.
American Baptist Churches USA is one of the most diverse Christian denominations today, with approximately 5,000 congregations comprised of 1.3 million members, across the United States and Puerto Rico, all engaged in God’s mission around the world.