VALLEY FORGE, PA (ABNS 3/26/19)—American Baptist Home Mission Societies (ABHMS) has awarded $53,900 in grants to 14 projects during 2019’s first quarter.
“By funding mission partners to strengthen outreach to and maximize impact in Asian, Latino and Haitian communities as well as other communities in need of outreach as identified by mission partners, ABHMS maintains its commitment to cultivate leaders, equip disciples and heal communities across the United States and Puerto Rico,” says ABHMS Executive Director Dr. Jeffrey Haggray.
More specifically, grants were awarded to the projects of historic and new mission partners that correspond to ABHMS’ various ministry areas, as follows:
- $8,400 to American Baptist Churches (ABC) of the Rocky Mountains to develop Korean ministry; to Innovative Space for Asian American Christianity to advocate for an equal pulpit for women of color in ministry; and to the Japanese Evangelical Mission Society to support college ministry;
- $15,300 to ABC of New Jersey and ABC of Metro Chicago to strengthen their outreach to the Latino community; and to ABC of Indiana and Kentucky and ABC of Greater Indianapolis, where they are collaborating to plant new Latino churches and provide intercultural competency training to improve collaboration among Latino and Euromerican churches;
- $4,000 to ABC of New Jersey to strengthen its outreach to the Haitian community;
- $23,700 to Volunteer-mobilization and Disaster-response Ministries to provide support to pastor-to-pastor ministries in ABC of the Dakotas and ABC of Nebraska; outreach ministry to the Latino Community in ABC of Wisconsin; administrative assistance at Kodiak (Alaska) Baptist Mission; and prison ministry in Scranton, Pa.; and
- $2,500 to the Yuvaika, Puerto Rico, community to provide spiritual support to women suffering trauma and depression after Hurricane Maria.
Information about grants to be awarded in upcoming quarters will be made available in July and December.
ABHMS is realizing the vision of its grant-redevelopment process, as announced in 2017, to better align with its mission priorities as well as with realities across the United States and Puerto Rico. Thanks to the generosity of both previous and current donors, who have given sacrificially and generously, ABHMS can effectively partner with American Baptists to share Christ’s enduring love.
American Baptist Home Mission Societies partners with American Baptists to promote Christian faith, cultivate Christ-centered leaders and disciples, and bring healing and transformation to communities across the United States and Puerto Rico.
American Baptist Churches USA is one of the most diverse Christian denominations today, with approximately 5,000 congregations comprised of 1.3 million members, across the United States and Puerto Rico, all engaged in God’s mission around the world.