VALLEY FORGE, PA (ABNS 10/3/16)—As America enters the final weeks of a contentious presidential election season, American Baptists are invited to pray with American Home Mission Societies (ABHMS) on Tuesdays through Election Day on Nov. 8.
Recent political rhetoric has been angry, accusatory, caustic, bombastic and, occasionally, R-rated. It has caused division and discord, fragmenting Americans into polarized camps of “us” versus “them.” The very fabric of our lives as Americans is at stake.
Pray with ABHMS to discern God’s will for our land and the decision to be made in the voting booth. As Christians, we know that prayer is not passive. Prayer has the power to move the mighty hand of the Lord and to change hearts.
Each week, ABHMS will suggest a focus on which to pray, as Americans contemplate casting a ballot in the race that selects the most powerful official in the nation—if not the world.
Beginning tomorrow and continuing each Tuesday through Nov. 8, please pray with us regarding the following themes:
- Tuesday, Oct. 4 — “decency,” or polite, moral and honest behavior and attitudes that show respect for other people.
- Tuesday, Oct. 11 — “understanding,” or the knowledge and ability required to make reasoned judgements about particular situations or subjects.
- Tuesday, Oct. 18 — “wisdom,” or the insight necessary to consider candidates’ rhetoric and positions and make sense of comparing them.
- Tuesday, Oct. 25 — “prudence,” or the application of careful good judgement when considering candidates’ platforms, positions and behavior.
- Tuesday, Nov. 1 — “discernment,” or the ability to look at different perspectives with clear-minded objectivity to determine solutions focused on fairness and justice.
- Tuesday, Nov. 8 — “courage,” or the ability to see things in a new way, consequently considering a choice or action different from one previously decided.
American Baptist Home Mission Societies ministers as the caring heart and serving hands of Jesus Christ across the United States and Puerto Rico through a multitude of initiatives that focus on leadership, discipleship and healing communities.
American Baptist Churches is one of the most diverse Christian denominations today, with approximately 5,000 local congregations comprised of 1.3 million members, across the United States and Puerto Rico, all engaged in God’s mission around the world.