Topics for Mission Summit 2015: *Denotes a new conversation for 2015
Our Leaders – Leatherwood Ballroom at the Sheraton
101. Discipleship – How can we develop mature and faithful followers of Jesus Christ in a world where so many of the traditional practices seem not to work?
102. Living Out Our Cultural Reality – The ABC is already a multi-ethnic organization and the U.S. is fast moving to be so, what does that mean for our ministry as we move into the future?
103. Next Generation of Leaders and Congregants – How can we work alongside the next generation of leaders to co-create a future ministry together that includes all generations?
104. Pastoral Attrition – There is an increasing pattern of pastoral attrition—people leaving the ministry—especially after the first five years of ministry. How can we curb this trend?
105. Spirituality – How can I deepen my relationship with God, allow faith to play a more vital role in my life, and discern what God’s next steps are for my life?
106. Volunteerism* – How can we partner in ministry with the increasing number of persons looking for meaningful work apart from their paid or pre-retirement positions?
107. Women in Ministry – Women in ordained ministry continue to be under-represented in ABC ministry in terms of the proportion of ordained women who are available to serve, especially in significant leadership roles. How can these barriers be overcome?
Our Witness – Convention Center Courtyard 1-3
201. Refugees from Burma* – How can we better understand and alleviate the plight of refugees who have fled from atrocities within Burma as they await resettlement and arrive in the USA?
202. The Gospel in a Rapidly Changing Society* – How can we engage Christ’s presence in a rapidly changing world?
203. Human Trafficking* – How can we build upon the strides already made in curbing human trafficking in prostitution, agriculture, labor, and other areas?
204. Immigration* – How can we partner with what God is up to with respect to U.S. immigrants and immigrant congregations?
205. People with Disabilities* – What should ministry look like with respect to people with disabilities?
206. Poverty* – The gap between the haves and have-nots continues to grow. How can we better understand and deal with the causes of poverty?
207. Violence – Violence dominates the media headlines. What should the role of the church be in dealing with violence in today’s world?
Our Future – Convention Center Courtyard 4-7
301. Alternative Models of Pastoral Ministry – Many small congregations are unable to employ full-time, seminary trained pastors. How can we create, support, and encourage congregations to embrace new models of pastoral leadership?
302. Community Networking* – This is now the “age of networking.” How can church leaders partner with community leaders in order to create the types of communities that God desires?
303. Congregations of the Future* –How can traditional congregations experience the new forms of congregational life that are emerging?
304. Congregations without Buildings* – Increasing percentages of church budgets are going toward the maintenance of a church building. What might a congregation look like with no physical building?
305. Missional Church – Many ABC congregations have embraced a missional model of ministry. What have we learned and what are the next steps in this approach?
306. Revitalizing Aging Congregations* – Many congregations include a significant number of older adults. How can these congregations find new life and hope that extends beyond a survival mentality?
307. Technology – Why do some congregations embrace new forms of technology while others strongly resist it? How can technology be used as a tool for ministry?