VALLEY FORGE, PA (ABNS 6/10/14)—American Baptist Home Mission Societies (ABHMS) is calling for Letters of Intent (LOI) from those interested in applying for American Baptist Foundation (ABF)-administered 2014 grants from the Virginia and Gordon Palmer Jr. Trust. Awards will range from $5,000 to $15,000. The deadline for LOI is July 15, 2014.
This year’s grant cycle seeks to fund special projects and programs of American Baptist Churches USA (ABCUSA)-related congregations, colleges, universities and institutions that best demonstrate the theme “Seek Justice: Living and Leaning into Isaiah 1:17” (“Learn to do good; seek justice, rescue the oppressed, defend the orphan, plead for the widow” [NRSV]).
A project must:
- engage at least eight people in a core team, expanding and enhancing the ministry of an existing organization. No grants shall be awarded to begin new organizations. Projects or ministries launched less than 12 months before the submission of a proposal may be considered for funding;
- demonstrate a theological and social analysis of the injustice or inequity it seeks to address;
- include planning and implementation involvement of young adults ages 18 to 29;
- be conducted under the auspices of a church, institution or organization related to ABCUSA;
- include a publicity or public relations component that clearly states the reason that the entity is living and leaning into Isaiah 1:17 through the project; and
- be completed within a 12-month time frame.
In addition, grant recipients must be willing to share their stories and learnings in a gathering of ABHMS, ABF and other grant recipients in fall 2015.
The deadline for LOI is July 15, 2014. Please do not submit a full grant application at this time. Those who submit an LOI will be notified by Aug. 15, 2014, as to whether to complete an application packet. All submissions are to be electronic and sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
American Baptist Home Mission Societies—the domestic mission arm of American Baptist Churches USA—ministers as the caring heart and serving hands of Jesus Christ across the United States and Puerto Rico through a multitude of initiatives that focus on discipleship, community and justice.
American Baptist Churches USA is one of the most diverse Christian denominations today, with over 5,200 local congregations comprised of 1.3 million members, across the United States and Puerto Rico, all engaged in God’s mission around the world.