Each Wednesday throughout the season of Lent in 2013, a reflection including bible verses and prayer suggestions is available on the ABCUSA website. The following reflection is posted on March 27, 2013, for Holy Week.
Psalm 70 (NRSV)
1 Be pleased, O God, to deliver me.
O Lord, make haste to help me!
2 Let those be put to shame and confusion
who seek my life.
Let those be turned back and brought to dishonor
who desire to hurt me.
3 Let those who say, “Aha, Aha!”
turn back because of their shame.
4 Let all who seek you
rejoice and be glad in you.
Let those who love your salvation
say evermore, “God is great!”
5 But I am poor and needy;
hasten to me, O God!
You are my help and my deliverer;
O Lord, do not delay!
Hebrews 12:1-3 (NRSV)
12 Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight and the sin that clings so closely, and let us run with perseverance the race that is set before us, 2 looking to Jesus the pioneer and perfecter of our faith, who for the sake of the joy that was set before him endured the cross, disregarding its shame, and has taken his seat at the right hand of the throne of God.
3 Consider him who endured such hostility against himself from sinners, so that you may not grow weary or lose heart.
Continued Prayer Requests:
– May American Baptist churches continue to seek to be transformed by what the Spirit is leading them to do.
– May attendees of the Mission Summit/Biennial in June share openly about the challenges that they face, and learn from one another to meet challenges within their own churchs.
– That people will respond positively to the “nudge” of God and listen to what he is leading them to do.
– May God’s presence be made known in our lives, our churches, our communities.
– For each speaker and leader who will guide us as we join together as a family in Kansas City in June.