ABCUSA National Staff Positions – Current Opportunities
American Baptists are a Christ-centered, biblically grounded, ethnically diverse people called to radical personal discipleship in Christ Jesus. American Baptist Churches USA is one of the most diverse Christian denominations today, with about 5,000 local congregations comprised of 1.3 million members, across the United States and Puerto Rico, all engaged in God’s mission around the world.
Reporting to the General Secretary, the Associate General Secretaries minister as a team to achieve the ministry goals and objectives of ABCUSA. The Associate General Secretaries are charged with a number of specific missional and operational responsibilities that assist the General Secretary in articulating and implementing a relevant vision for the denomination. These positions are each full-time and preferably based within commuting distance of Valley Forge (relocation assistance available).
General Team Member Responsibilities and Duties
• Develop and implement projects and initiatives to support the missional priorities of ABCUSA
• Promote faithful stewardship and help raise United Mission giving
• Encourage, promote and interpret the vision, mission and ministries of national and regional partners
• Represent the General Secretary throughout the ABC and in the wider ecumenical community
• Other relevant duties as may be assigned by the General Secretary
Specific Team Member Responsibilities and Duties
In addition to the Associate General Secretary for Finances (CFO/Treasurer) and the Associate General Secretary for Regional Ministries and Denominational Life, ABCUSA is seeking gifted individuals for two positions:
• Associate General Secretary for Missional Initiatives and Partnerships:
Spearhead the development of new projects and initiatives to support the missional outreach priorities of ABCUSA, such as new church planting, innovative evangelistic and social action outreaches, and creative partnerships with other missional organizations.
• Associate General Secretary for Congregational and Pastoral Effectiveness:
Spearhead the development of new projects and initiatives to support the spiritual health and faithfulness of local congregations and pastors, in cooperation with our partners in ministry.
Competencies and Educational Requirements
• Member, in good standing, of an American Baptist or dually-aligned congregation
• Knowledge of ABC mission and polity, and a strong American Baptist identity which demonstrates a high value for soul freedom, church freedom, biblical freedom, and religious freedom
• Exemplary personal integrity and spiritual maturity
• A Master’s Degree or equivalent degree/experience
• A track record of extraordinary leadership, and supervisory experience, in a religious or nonprofit setting
• Excellent communication and organizational skills
• Ability to oversee a project from design to successful implementation
• Experience in recommending and developing programmatic resources
• Experience in fund development and mission support
• Ability to network and build community by nurturing relationships within and outside of the denomination
• Ability to genuinely value and honor differences and actively engage in dialogue across the plethora of ABCUSA’s theological and cultural perspectives
• Strategic and analytical thinker
• Collaborative and team-oriented leader
• Tech savvy
• Ability to travel.
ABCUSA offers a competitive compensation package that includes salary and a variety of benefits (i.e., health insurance, paid time off and paid sick time, participation in a fully-vested 403b).
To apply for one or both positions, please submit:
– Cover Letter detailing your experience relevant to the position
– One-page document with vision for this ministry
– Current ministry Résumé
– One-page personal statement of faith and commitment to ABCUSA
– Three professional references.
Note: if applying for both positions, please provide a separate experience and vision statement for each position (one page).
Deadline for applications is August 15, 2017.