Published on September 6th, 2018 | by ABCUSA0
American Baptists Encouraged to Participate in New Baptist Covenant’s 10th Anniversary Summit
VALLEY FORGE, PA (ABNS 9/6/18)—American Baptist Home Mission Societies (ABHMS) and the ABCUSA Office of the General Secretary encourage American Baptists to attend “Journey to Justice”—the 10th anniversary celebration of partnering organization New Baptist Covenant—planned for Oct. 15-17 in Atlanta.
Speakers are as follows:
- Ruby Nell Sales, founder and director of Atlanta’s Spirit House Project, a national religious nonprofit that uses the arts, research, education, action and spirituality to unite diverse individuals for racial, economic and social justice;
- Tim Wise, a prominent national antiracist essayist and educator;
- the Rev. Dr. Marvin McMickle, president of Colgate Rochester Crozer Divinity School, Rochester, N.Y., and Judson Press author;
- Dr. Jessica Felix Romero, communications director for Sojourners magazine;
- the Rev. Dr. Darryl Roberts, pastor of Nineteenth Street Baptist Church, Washington, D.C.; and
- the Rev. Julie Pennington-Russell, pastor of First Baptist Church, Washington, D.C.
In addition, the event will feature a Judson Press book table as well as a book signing with McMickle.
Founded by former President Jimmy Carter, New Baptist Covenant promotes “Covenants of Action” among Baptist churches from various traditions and racial/ethnic backgrounds for racial reconciliation and social justice projects.
The summit will be held at the Sheraton Downtown Atlanta.
For additional information and to register, visit http://newbaptistcovenant.org.
Founded in 1824, Judson Press is a publishing ministry of the American Baptist Home Mission Societies, American Baptist Churches USA. It is committed to producing Christ-centered leadership resources for the transformation of individuals, congregations, communities, and cultures.
American Baptist Home Mission Societies partners with American Baptists to promote Christian faith, cultivate Christ-centered leaders and disciples, and bring healing and transformation to communities across the United States and Puerto Rico.
American Baptist Churches USA is one of the most diverse Christian denominations today, with approximately 5,000 congregations comprised of 1.3 million members, across the United States and Puerto Rico, all engaged in God’s mission around the world.