Published on December 10th, 2012 | by ABCUSA0
ABHMS Extends Deadline for Biennial Awards Nominations to Dec. 17
VALLEY FORGE, PA (ABNS 12/10/12)—The Board of American Baptist Home Mission Societies (ABHMS) has extended to Dec. 17, 2012, the deadline for nominations for 2013 ministry awards. Nominations are needed for nine national recognition awards that honor American Baptist individuals, churches and organizations for exceptional faithfulness in ministry, in addition to three merit awards that honor chaplains and pastoral counselors. Nominations will also be accepted for the Luke Mowbray Ecumenical Award, to be presented by American Baptist Churches USA (ABCUSA). Awards will be announced at the ABCUSA Mission Summit/Biennial to be held June 21-23, 2013, in Overland Park/Kansas City, Kan.
Awards that recognize individuals, churches and organizations are as follows:
• Edwin T. Dahlberg Peace Award to an individual or church for outstanding work for peace;
• Jitsuo Morikawa Evangelism Award to a layperson for outstanding leadership in holistic evangelism;
• Rosa O. Hall Rural and Small Town Award to a pastor for exceptional effectiveness in rural ministry or small town ministry;
• Edward H. Rhoades Urban Ministry Award to a pastor for exceptional effectiveness in urban ministry;
• Richard Hoiland Local Christian Education Award to an individual for faithful, effective leadership in Christian education;
• Luther Wesley Smith Education Award to an individual for faithful, effective leadership in strengthening Christian education at an American Baptist-related college or seminary;
• Kenneth L. Cober Regional Discipleship Award to an individual for faithful, effective leadership in discipleship education in an American Baptist region;
• Newton C. Fetter Higher Education and Campus Ministry Award to an individual for significant innovation in campus ministry;
• Religious Freedom Award to an individual, church or organization for leadership in defending God-given religious liberty for all; and
• Luke Mowbray Ecumenical Award to an individual for outstanding ecumenical work at the local, state, national or international level; this award is to be presented by ABCUSA.
Merit awards that recognize chaplains and pastoral counselors are as follows:
• Institutional Chaplain Merit Award;
• Pastoral Counselor Merit Award; and
• Military Chaplain Merit Award.
The deadline for nominations has been extended to Dec. 17, 2012.
Nominations for these 2013 awards can be submitted online or by fax, postal mail and email. Nominations submitted by postal mail must be postmarked by Dec. 17; those submitted online or by fax or e-mail must be received at ABHMS by Dec. 17. For awards to individuals, churches or organizations, request an English or Spanish version of the hard-copy nomination form by contacting Susan Bogle at email@example.com or 1-800-222-3872, x2028. For chaplaincy and pastoral counseling awards, contact Yolanda Schweikert at firstname.lastname@example.org or 1-800-222-3872, x2447, to request a hard-copy nomination form in English or to receive help in interpreting the form in Spanish.
For awards criteria, to print nominations forms or to submit nominations online, please go to the Biennial/Mission Summit/Biennial Awards page on ABHMS’ website.
American Baptist Home Mission Societies—the domestic mission arm of American Baptist Churches USA (ABCUSA)—ministers as the caring heart and serving hands of Jesus Christ across the United States and Puerto Rico through a multitude of initiatives that focus on discipleship, community and justice.
American Baptist Churches is one of the most diverse Christian denominations today, with over 5,200 local congregations comprised of 1.3 million members, across the United States and Puerto Rico, all engaged in God’s mission around the world.